Sunday, March 26, 2017

Swing Lessons from AMD/NVDA

Been in a motivation slump lately.. struggling to get caught up with my lessons

From what I can remember that happened in February/March:

1)  I bought AMD power hour for an anticipated spike the next morning to sell into.  Plan worked but I wasn't watching the position/youtube and watched it get past my stop loss>>breakeven>>refused to get out so I swung in long knowing that I've chased the stock wayy too high on the daily and will probably be red for a week or so.

Lesson:  Stick to your plan,   I kept changing the plan since I refused to accept leaving profits on the table/breakeven/get out for a loss.

2)  I  didn't stick to my trailing stop loss and left 500$+ on the table since I thought I could just swing it even longer since an even longer-term plan is still intact.  Went back to sleep and finally just took profits when it got too low.

3)  I bought 50 NVDA at 101, added 50 at 104 with a price target of 110-111.  I chased another 50 at 109 when it AM spiked from 107-109 to sell into the next morning at 110.  Next morning came and it hit pre-market 110 before starting to range between 109-110.  I should've downsized that add that was a chase but didn't because i wanted more than just 110 and that my stop will be 109.

Damn thing broke below my mental stoploss at 109 and I still didn't downsize.. Changed my stoploss to 108..

Damn thing hit my NEW mental stoploss below 108 and I "hoped" it'll go back up refusing to accept the fact that I was wrong and the chase is a loss.  Changed my stoploss to 107.. see a pattern?

DAMN thing broke 107 and I FINALLY admitted to myself that I need to cut losses ASAP to prevent losing all my unrealized gains.  I locked in only 40% of my total unrealized gains when I hit my initial target of 110.  500$ because of greed>>unwilling to accept I was wrong until the threat of losing ALL my gains emotionally hit me..

Crappy post but I need to put something in from my Swings for future reference...

No comments:

Post a Comment